In our family everyone knows that the best Ropa Vieja is made by Rosita (co-owner of Muñoz Tapas Restaurant) because it is really exquisite. That is why this dish is one of the most requested dishes on the menu at this restaurant in Trinidad.
Restaurant in Trinidad
. The authentic recipe for Cuban-style ropa vieja is a very simple yet very tasty dish. The most difficult and time-consuming part of cooking this delicacy is to shred the beef well.
History of Cuban Old Clothes.
It is very common that when we talk about Cuban food, we immediately think of Ropa Vieja. Many believe that it originated in our country, however, several articles on the Internet show that this specialty has its origins in the Canary Islands of Spain.
It was the Canarian immigrants in Cuba who were responsible for introducing this dish. It is also popular in Caribbean countries such as Panama, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. The story goes that the dish was initially made from leftover food left over from dinners. It was later transformed into a more savory dish containing shredded meat with chickpeas and potatoes.
We have received news that in the Canary Islands it is prepared in different ways. Often the recipe is prepared with beef, chicken or pork indistinctly. While at other times it is cooked with a combination of any of the three. In Cuba, this recipe is prepared exclusively with beef and usually without potatoes or chickpeas. It is prepared only with the meat “ripiada” with a base of tomato sauce and abundant spices.
Ingredients for Ropa Vieja Cubana Recipe.
The revised recipe of “Rosita” is well guarded by the hosts. For this reason, as an idea we expose the ingredients of the classic line of Ropa Vieja.
- 2 lbs of flank or flank steak, cooked and shredded.
- 1 bay leaf.
- 1 teaspoon beef or chicken broth.
- A pinch of salt.
- 1 pinch of ground black pepper.
For the Sauce.
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil or vegetable oil.
- 1 medium onion, cut into slices or strips.
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped.
- 2/3 cup red wine or beef broth.
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato puree.
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste.
- 1/3 cup beef broth.
- 1 teaspoon of red wine vinegar or lemon juice.
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves or 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano.
- 1 teaspoon beef broth.
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper to taste.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin.
- 1 green bell pepper in slices or strips.
- Chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
Optional ingredient in Ropa Vieja Recipe.
You may also be interested in:
- How to get by cab to Trinidad with
- Booking Lodging in Trinidad at Casa Muñoz (Colonial B&B owned by the owners of Muñoz Tapas)