In this section you will find some Cuban recipes that restaurants leave us to publish. This way you will be able to prepare them at home when you return from your trip to Cuba. With our tour group Travels & Incentives you will get to know the best of Cuba and travel without worries. We have all the possible services of the tourism industry, from Flights, through Accommodations, Transportation, Restaurants, Excursions, Cruises, Visas, Insurance, etc. Write us or contact us to help you.
Ingredients Ham Croquettes.
- 200g of ham
- 50 g butter
- 1 white onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 50 g all-purpose flour
- 750ml of whole milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- Plenty of oil for frying
For breading Cuban Recipes.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
Preparation of Homemade Ham Croquettes.
- Place a large frying pan or pot on the heat, pour in the butter and sauté until it melts, being careful not to let it burn.
- When it is melted, add the onion and the garlic, finely chopped or passed through a food processor, sauté for 1 minute.
- Then we add the flour and we will gradually integrate it with the butter, onion and garlic, if we incorporate the sifted flour it is better.
- Once integrated, pour the milk in a trickle at a time and stir continuously with a hand whisk so that there are no lumps until the milk is completely integrated.
- Add the nutmeg if we want to add it, then the ham chopped into very small pieces or also passed through the food processor and stir to integrate it to the freshly made mixture.
- While it is cooking, it will begin to boil and thicken, all this time we do not stop stirring to prevent it from becoming small.
- When it is well thickened and separates easily from the bottom and edges of the pot or pan, turn off the heat and let it rest at room temperature covered with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel until it cools, and then put it in the refrigerator for 1 or 2 hours.
- Once the mixture is cold we can start making the shapes of the croquettes and when we have them ready we first dip them in flour, then in beaten egg and finally in breadcrumbs, draining the excess in the first and second step of the breading.
- Fry them in plenty of hot oil until the ham croquettes are golden brown on all sides, drain the excess fat on kitchen paper and they are ready to serve.
Ingredients for Arroz con Pollo a la Chorrera.
- 2- 4 pieces of chicken
- 2 measures of rice (cups)
- 2 measures of beer
- 4 measures of water or chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon bijol or other colorant
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons peas
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 2 tablespoons oil
Prepare Cuban recipes of Arroz con Pollo a la Chorrera.
- First we season the chicken portions with salt and pepper and fry them in the pan with the 2 tablespoons of hot oil, until they are sealed. (if desired, remove the skin).
- Then we remove all the chicken and in the same fat we sauté the chopped onion, bell pepper and garlic for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the cumin, bijol, tomato puree, paprika and continue cooking for 1 minute more.
- Next, add the rice, frying it until it becomes transparent and well integrated.
- Place the chicken back in the pot with the rice and the rest of the ingredients, then add the beer and turn up the heat, mix a little so that it cooks evenly.
- Pour the measures of water or broth, bay leaf, salt, mix and cook for 3 minutes over high heat to evaporate the alcohol in the beer.
- Lower the heat to medium low, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- When it is finished cooking, let it rest for 10 or 15 minutes so that the flavor is better concentrated, and our rice with chicken a la chorrera will be ready to be tasted.
Cuban Recipes,Ingredients Roasted Leg of Lamb in the Oven.
- Leg of lamb (1.5 kg)
- A dash of olive oil
- A pinch of granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon Paprika or Paprika
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 2 stalks of fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation of Oven Roasted Leg of Lamb.
- First crush the garlic and the leaves of the rosemary branches in a mortar and pestle to make a paste.
- Then we spread a drizzle of olive oil over the meat so that the rest of the ingredients adhere better, just a little bit.
- Then add the sugar (just a pinch, almost nothing), salt, pepper, paprika or paprika and the garlic and rosemary paste.
- Leave to marinate for 10 to 20 minutes while preheating the oven with the tray of water inside, at the bottom at 180º C with heat up and down without air or fan.
- Place the piece of lamb on a rack and place it in the preheated oven with the inside, the meat side up, and bake it in this way for the first 45 minutes.
- Then we turn it over and bake for another 45 minutes. After this time we raise the oven temperature to 180º C and give it a crispy finish for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving to better concentrate the flavor. You can serve it with rice, white or congrí, potatoes, salad, yucca with mojo, fried viands or any other garnish you prefer.
Optional in Cuban recipes:
A very simple trick that will give it a flavor multiplied by 10 is if you have a grill, we recommend sealing it for 3 or 4 minutes on each side, this enhances its flavor even more, and then bake it as explained in the recipe. If you want it baked medium rare after grilling, bake it for only 20 minutes at 160º C.
Ingredients Bistec en Cazuela Cubano.
- 2 pounds of beef
- 2 onions
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 sour orange
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon of complete seasoning
- 1 teaspoon goya seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tomato
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
How to Prepare Cuban Recipes for Steak in Casserole.
- First chop 1 onion and half a bell pepper into half-moon shapes, place them in a bowl and add the vinegar. Reserve for later.
- Then cut the meat into thin steaks, chop the other onion and the remaining half of the bell pepper into very small cubes, crush all the garlic and add these three ingredients to the steaks.
- Add the sour orange juice, cumin, oregano, goya seasoning and sazon completo plus salt and pepper. Mix well and marinate for 20 minutes to 2 hours to better concentrate the flavors and make the meat tender.
- Then place the oil in the pan over medium heat, add the teaspoon of sugar and stir until it caramelizes turning brown, being careful not to burn it.
- At this point add the marinated steaks and sauté them to seal them, when finished add the tomato chopped in small cubes. Continue cooking for 1 minute or 2.
- Add the tomato paste, all the leftover marinade juice and the bay leaf. Cook over medium low heat for 20 to 30 minutes. If you want more sauce just add a splash of water.
- After this time, add the onion and half of the reserved peppers, mix well for 1 minute, lower the heat and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Serve with white rice, salad, tostones or chatinos, potatoes or other garnish of your choice.
Ingredients Cuban Fried Rice.
- 2 cups cooked white rice (without salt or oil)
- 100 grams of ham or pork meat
- 200 grams of clean shrimp
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup peas
- 1 large onion
- ½ cup sweet corn kernels
- 3 Eggs
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or soybean sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Cuban Recipes, How to Prepare Cuban Fried Rice.
- The first thing to do is to have all the ingredients ready, so we crush the garlic cloves and chop the onion.
- We are also going to fry the shrimp for only 3 minutes after seasoning them with salt and pepper and chop the ham into small squares.
- If we are going to use pork, we chop it into small pieces, season with salt and pepper and make fried dough.
- We beat the eggs and prepare them in a frying pan as scrambled eggs with a pinch of salt. Now we reserve everything for the next step.
- It is the turn to integrate everything, we are going to add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a wide frying pan to fit all the fried rice. Heat the oil over medium heat.
- When hot, add the crushed garlic and chopped onion, fry for 1 minute.
- Then add half of the rest of the ingredients except the eggs, starting with the ham or fried pork chunks, plus half of the shrimp, white rice, corn and peas, sauté so that they are all integrated and add 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, continue stirring everything to prevent sticking.
- As soon as they change color, add the rest of the ingredients in the same order and finally the remaining soy sauce. Stir to integrate everything so that the rice has a loose consistency.
- Finally, add the scrambled eggs, sauté once more, turn off the heat and let stand for a few minutes before serving.
Many other ingredients can be added to this fried rice recipe if you wish, such as Chinese beans, peppers, chicken and beef.
Ingredients for the Cuban recipes of Arroz Congris.
- 1 cup small-grain black beans
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 cups black bean broth
- 1 large white onion
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 green bell bell pepper
- 1/2 red bell bell pepper
- You can substitute those two halves of chili peppers for 3 or 4 small chili peppers).
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) vegetable oil or lard to taste salt.
- 1 dash vinegar (about 1 teaspoon).
- 2 tablespoons oil or butter.
Cuban Recipes, preparation of Congris Rice.
- The night before, wash and soak the black beans. The next morning cook them with the same soaking water, the bay leaf, a piece of chili bell pepper and a pinch of salt, until they are soft.
- When they are cool and you can handle them, measure 2 cups of the broth and set the beans aside.
- In the pan where you are going to cook the congrí (I recommend using an iron pan) heat the oil or lard, and sauté the chopped onion, the chili bell pepper and 2 of the crushed garlic cloves until the onion is transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice (which you have already washed, of course) to the sofrito and stir it well for a few seconds so that it is well impregnated with the fat and seasonings.
- Then add the beans and repeat the same process as with the rice, stir well for a few seconds so that everything is mixed.
- Then add the broth that you have already measured, plus the cumin, oregano and salt.
- Cook it over high heat until it comes to a boil, then stir it and lower the heat, letting it simmer, covered, until the rice is soft and well threshed.
- Separately, sauté the other 2 crushed garlic cloves with the 2 extra tablespoons of fat and add them to the cooked rice along with the vinegar drizzle. Stir well and that’s it!
- When you finish cooking the rice, cut a sour orange into rounds and place them on top of the cooked rice. Cover and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. This will give it an exquisite touch and flavor!